The Israeli Association of Public Health Physicians is a union whose members are specialists in public health.
Public health doctor
A public health practitioner is a physician who has graduated from medical school and specialized in public health for four years in one of two tracks: epidemiology or community service. The epidemiology track exists in dedicated departments within a number of hospitals and Sick Funds. The community services track is situated within district health bureaus, regional offices, and the IDF. The residency also requires completion of a master's degree in public health.
Areas of expertise
Public health, particularly epidemiology, deals with the use of tools and methods that are the basis for both population health management and individual medicine. However, public health doctors are not just theorists. They deal with needs assessment, service planning, and the management of supplies and medical services.
Members of the Israeli Association of Public Health Physicians
Members of this Association include physicians working in the Ministry of Health in the Public Health Services, within the regional and district health bureaus (regional and district physicians), physicians working in the epidemiological departments of hospitals and academic units, physicians working in the IDF (epidemiology section) and others working in this field in Sick Funds and other bodies (e.g., Israeli Center for Disease Control). Members include senior figures in the health sector, namely people who have greatly influenced the structure of the healthcare system, existing services, and the health system management.
Objectives of the Israeli Association of Public Health Physicians
The association emerged due to a clear and fundamental need for this foundation of public health in the field of medicine. The small number of experts and general lack of familiarity with this branch of medicine led to a crisis requiring the establishment of this union. The intention today is to not only address current challenges but also by identify and target future challenges by using the tools available to the members of the union in public health and for the benefit of all medical systems:
1. To be the professional- and scientific organization of the public health specialists in Israel.
2.Promote and develop the public health sector in Israel in the fields of administrative, scientific, clinical, social, teaching, and ethics, in coordination and collaboration with the Israeli Medical Association.
3. Promote and establish the professional and image status of the Association and its members in the framework of the Israeli Medical Association among colleagues, government officials and the general public.
4. To be a professional medical body that advises and assists in the development of health services in Israel and their organization from a comprehensive view of public health in Israel.
5. To drive public health policy in Israel, according to the principles of "Health for All," and to bring awareness and prioritization of the allocation of resources to public health.
6. Become a partner and catalyst in all public health processes and actions.
7. Maintain the highest level of professionalism for physicians in the field of public health.
8. Train the next generation of specialists in public health.
9. Work with colleagues in the field of public health in Israel and abroad and with similar or closely related companies, associations and bodies in promoting public health.
10. Promote scientific research in the field of public health and disseminate research information to colleagues, decision makers and the general public.